View Single Post
Old 17th January 2017, 12:11   #1150  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geheim View Post
Negative values in Scenarist result in objects appearing closer to you (in front of the Screen), positive values appear farer away (inside the Screen). I don't know if this is the inverse of what is stored inside the final output...
Yes, it's the inverse of the content of the "real" 3D-Planes and the content of the .OFS files. It's also the inverse of the convention widely used in the 3D infographic world, where the Z axis is always directed toward the spectator.

For the 7 (or -7) value, I fully agree that it's a good starting point. At least if the values in Scenarist are equal to the values in the .ofs files (except the sign). Usually, for a constant depth, I try with something between 6 and 10 depending of the movie, but there are usually at least 10 or 20 subtitles that need manual adjustments. A constant depth of 20, for example, will certainly require less adjustments, but the subtitles are so far from the screen that it's certainly not a value to recommend.

Note also that BD3D2MK3D offers also another way to be sure that the subtitles do not enter in the objects. When a movie is shot in Cinemascope format, it has large horizontal black borders. In the last tab, you can move the picture up in the screen, and if the bottom border is large enough, the subtitles will appear in that border, beneath the picture. That's not perfect, but it's less unpleasant than subtitles entering the objects. Anyway, it's not a solution when the video is not re-encoded.

Quote:
Yes Scenarist accepts .ofs files in theory, although I never got it working unfortunately... I don't know why, but if I used an .ofs file for the depth I just got flat Subs all the time, which means not a single depth Setting is applied correctly. I don't know if there is an error in the .ofs from BD3D2MK3D or in Scenarist itself...
Hum, strange. Are you sure that the offset sequences are correctly referenced in the MPLS files? It is not sufficient to attach them to the MVC stream. It is also necessary to link the subtitle stream and the OFS together. You can verify if the links are correct with BD3D2MK3D, or with TSMuxeR (at least when it doesn't have the bug described in a previous post).

Quote:
This would be quite interesting! Do you think it is possible to replace the SEI Messages without reencoding?? I always thought this could only be done with reencoding, and using professional Encoders only.
Of Course, if some checksums are applied it wouldn't work that easily, but it certainly would be worth investigating I assume.
Perhaps if we knew how the SEI message Needs to be inserted inside the stream, we could also just add it to FRIM-encoded streams after encoding?!?
Well, currently, BD3D2MK3D can retrieve the 3D-Planes from the previously demuxed MVC stream (with MVCPlanes2OFS.exe, written by Nico8583). Since the 3D-Planes are simply collections of depth values (one byte per frame and per 3D-Plane), it is certainly possible to do the opposite, and overwrite the original depth values with edited or new values. Furthermore, many (but not all) 3DBD have the maximum number of 3D-Planes (32), even if only a couple of them are really used and contain meaningful depth values. That leaves much place for experimenting. Of course, the MVC stream must then be remuxed and the 3D-Planes correctly assigned to the subtitle streams, but that can be done with TSMuxeR.
As I wrote, it might be difficult to do it due to checksums or other difficulties. My knowledge of the structure of the MVC stream is not sufficient to be sure that it's possible, but I can do some little tests. But is it really interesting? What will be the benefit of replacing a 3D-Plane in an original MVC stream (supposed to contain already good 3D-Planes) with a constant depth? Without a full 3D-Subtitles editor, that doesn't make much sense.
Adding totally new SEI messages in the MVC stream is also a big challenge. I don't even know if it's the job of the MVC encoder, of the muxer or even of a dedicated application.

Finally, I'm not sure I'm the right person to develop a program to generate or replace 3D-Planes. BD3D2MK3D is not at all dedicated to do that. It does exactly the opposite and uses the original 3D-Planes only to create "3D Subtitle" streams for SBS or T&B format. I have no intention to write something to modify the existing 3DBD and recreate an ISO. However, I have some free time right now, and I will try to modify manually the 3D-Planes of an original MVC, and see if it is still accepted by the muxer and the players. If it's the case, it might be interesting to investigate further...

Last edited by r0lZ; 17th January 2017 at 12:17.