View Single Post
Old 19th March 2015, 18:35   #285  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
.....However, you want something different. AFAIK, it's the first time that someone wants to remove the black bars AND resize the picture to occupy the whole 16:9 area, thus distorting voluntarily the image! Sorry again, but I can't accept that! If you want to butcher your movies, do it without my help! ........
Just a footnote: The poster is about to re-invent anamorphic sizing which was quite common for DVDs. Theoretically it is possible, provided that the correct --sar is signalled and provided that the player reads the --sar and displays the picture accordingly. Some SW players do, but I doubt if HW players would do this correctly in general because they usually display the picture either as 4:3 or 16:9, disregarding the --sar. There is one exception for blu-ray though: One can resize the 1920x1080 to 1440x1080 using --sar 4:3 and have the player play it back as 16:9. It is fully blu-ray compliant. I used this anamorph encoding for 2D but never tried for 3D. The result would be worse anyway due to the reduction of the horizontal resolution.

Last edited by Sharc; 19th March 2015 at 18:37.