View Single Post
Old 18th January 2018, 13:11   #1382  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
As it happens I too have been struggling with the Avatar subtitles. It's one of the 3D movies why I asked r0lZ in my earlier post for a feature in the XY coordinates-processing in one of his tools.
I understand your wishes, but Avatar is probably the bad example for the need to move the subtitles. The original 3D subtitles are carefully placed on screen so that they do not enter in the objects or characters in the foreground. The depth of an individual subtitle has been defined for the precise position of that subtitle, and if it is moved elsewhere, chances are that it will not be in a gap between the foreground objects, and you will ruin the 3D effect. This is especially true if you move the subtitles globally down, as usually, there are more objects in the bottom of the foreground.

IMO, restricting the displacement of the subtitles in a specific direction should be used only when the original subtitles are always on the same horizontal line and are only moved to the left or right to avoid to enter in some foreground objects. In that case, grabbing the position of new subtitles from that stream without restricting the Y may give the impression that the subtitles are not correctly aligned along the Y axis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
I agree fully, I'd also welcome a handy knife that will let you do whatever you want with SUP or XML/PNG files, for that matter. A real-time preview screen during editing/creating is a must.
A good wysiwyg subtitle editor is Aegisub, but it works with SSA/ASS subtitles only, and it has no support for the 3D depth.