View Single Post
Old 29th July 2015, 10:36   #467  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

You should easily see the blurred frames if you play the video on your PC frame by frame with a software player. When an object or the camera moves, you should see two blurred images instead of a single one in perfect focus in some frames (but not all). I suppose that the problem is not very visible when playing the video normally, because the blur should affect only moving parts of the image.

SBS and T&B files have usually (almost always) the same frame rate than the BD3D: 23.976fps. (As I have explained above, you can also find SBS/T&B movies at 25fps, but it's only a trick to grab the audio from a PAL DVD instead of from the original BD. There are also a few exceptions, like Big Bug Bunny, because it has not been released on BD, and is computed directly from the CGI database at any frame rate the user wants.)

In a BD3D, there are two video streams at 23.976fps, one for each view. SBS and T&B place the two views in the same frame (side by side or stacked vertically) and therefore the frame rate doesn't need to be doubled. It stays always at 23.976. In Frame Sequential, that two streams are interleaved together to form a single video stream at twice the frame rate. (There are now new BDs with doubled frame rate, that are made to avoid even more the flickering effect of the relatively low movie frame rate (24fps), but it's another story, not directly related to 3D.)

I know that your projector cannot play 3D at another frame rate than 60 fps (or, as we know now, 60/0.001 fps). But I suppose that the projector receives its video stream from an external hardware, such as from the graphic card of a PC via HDMI (for 3D games) or via streaming by a software player. The question is therefore: is it possible to use the software player to do the actual conversion of the SBS or T&B to full-frames (720p or 1080p) at 60 fps, and stream that frames as Frame Sequential 3D to the projector? If it's the case, you can probably encode in SBS 30fps as well as Frame Sequential 60p. Normally, the quality of Half-SBS is somewhat lower than FS, because the frames are divided by 2, but that takes less disc space and the encoding is faster. It's why I would like to know if BD3D2MK3D should support the 60fps conversion for SBS and T&B as well.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to play the standard SBS or T&B files (at 23.976fps) with your projector without re-encoding. But it should be possible to re-encode easily the SBS or T&B file to FS 60p, with a simple avisynth script and x264. Then, you will have to remux the resulting h264 video stream and the original audio, subtitles and chapters with MkvMerge (or a MP4 muxer). That's not really difficult, if you have the right software. I'll try to write the script and a mini guide for you later...

Last edited by r0lZ; 29th July 2015 at 10:48. Reason: typo