View Single Post
Old 7th September 2011, 00:31   #10047  |  Link
shanndogg

VC-1 Pixelation/Blocks

I recently noticed some pixelation/blockiness in some Ripbot files produced from Bluray Discs. They did not occur on every rip, but only some. After inspecting a number of my rips I noticed it only seems to be happening from VC-1 Blurays.

For the record I am converting to 720p MKV's with a CRF of 20. I used auto crop with custom size (1280 x XXX)- everything else is left at the default 4.0 profile settings.

Doing a google search, I found this thread that explains the exact problem I am seeing and has photo examples: How to avoid this kind of blocks?

I did a test with Handbrake and the resulting file produced the same type of blocks as Ripbot. According to the Handbrake thread it could be a decoding problem caused by a bug in libav? I am not totally tech savy on this, but could this be the same case with Ripbot? Reading through the threads here it seems Ripbot uses FFDshow which uses wmv9 for VC-1, not libav? - So, I don't know why I would see the same result with both programs.

Obviously, I am not prolific in the technicalities of these programs and I am hoping someone can shed some light- most importantly a fix- for this picture degradation I am experiencing.
shanndogg is offline   Reply With Quote