View Single Post
Old 19th June 2018, 14:58   #6  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
There is no torch. In "cave" there is a wide opening behind the camera, this is how I get there.
'Cave', I should have figured.

Quote:
Also since light falls off with distance it looks like the camera emits some light.
Right, and that's something that needs to be taken into account. It's acting like a near range 'key light'.

Quote:
I have an idea to try: when clipping is applied to colored highlight, the highlight remains colored (6-axis), or saturates slowly per rgb channel (levels). It might be more convenient if clipping/overflow resulted in desaturation of highlight.
If I were doing this purely as a Resolve 'showcase' I'd be tackling that skylight with a qualifier and 'power window' (garbage matte), likely applying desaturation along with blur over a gradient. There's also Saturation vs Luminance and Hue vs Saturation curves.

Many years back I concocted an AVS function (SelSah) that could be helpful there - applies Tweak parameters (including Saturation) over a defined luma range.

http://blog.niiyan.net/post/666717637/selsahv3

This is the type of situation I had in mind when I queried the prospect of a '3-way' version of the '6-axis color correction' filter in the other thread.

Anything else in VDub that could be brought to bear? Create a luminance mask with gradation curves maybe?

Still, the 'soft clipping' approach works quite well in Resolve. One of the nice things about Resolve is that it does all processing in the background at full 'data' levels with 32-bit float. So no data is lost. Even when working at constrained 'Video' (Limited/broadcast safe) levels on the timeline (which I'm not in this case), outlying values can be pulled into range.

If I can arrive at a decent result (using only Channel Mixer) in Resolve, I'll look at the options more closely in VDub2.

Quote:
GOPR0233
...some bright spots could be dead coral, I consider these white. Also coral rock to the right.

…...The fishes on top maybe gray or very close to.
OK thanks. That's helpful.