View Single Post
Old 28th June 2010, 07:44   #35  |  Link
Didée

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi11 View Post
I tried it but there are still some light-gray details in bright areas that aren't being seen.
Somehow I have a suspicion. The suspicion that you are using a badly-calibrated (or badly-featured) LCD flatscreen, and that you're trying to work around bad brightlevel resolution.
Check e.g. here - do you see "everything"?

Quote:
I don't know RPN very well, or how mt_lut should be used, but I tried:
[*wrong code*]
It shows light-gray details while still keeping white at 255.
That code is not correct. Look at the histogram. There is a gap between 235-250, that range is not used at all, because of the wrong formula.

Quote:
Since this clip is probably supposed to look like tv levels [16,235], I should ask how to properly convert TV->PC such that the video doesn't look like dynamic contrast is turned on.
That's a misconception. A clip is not supposed to "look like" TV levels.
When a clip IS TV levels, then it looks correct on TV-levels display devices, and looks washed-out on fullscale display devices. And vice versa, a PC-scale clip will look correct on fullscale devices, and overcontrasted on TVscale devices.

Ah, I start getting lengthy .... anyway, what you are trying is solely a matter of personal preference. Not any kind of "correction" that would be "needed" to do.

FWIW ... generalized LUT function with "dark point" + "factor", and "bright point" + "factor".

Code:
point0  = 8
factor0 = 2.0
point1  = 247
factor1 = 2.0

P0=string(point0)
P1=string(point1)
F0=string(factor0)
F1=string(factor1)

mt_lut("x "+P0+" < x "+F0+" * x "+P1+" > 255 255 x - "+F1+" * - x "+P0+" - "+P1+" "+P0+" - 255 "+P1+" - "+F1+" * - "+P1+" "+P0+" - / * "+P0+" 2 * + ? ?")

There really should be a levels-filter that works with control points and splines, like those brightness/levels/whatever controls that we all know from most existing image graphic editors. More than a decade of Avisynth, and nobody did that yet ...

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)

Last edited by Didée; 28th June 2010 at 07:46.
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote