View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2020, 14:02   #11  |  Link
VictorLS

Thanks for reply.
Quote:
I'm afraid, my experience on the subject of HDR to SDR tonemapping is rather limited
It's a pity but I believe in you
Btw I have SDR (BT.709) monitor too - that's why I want to find good HLGtoSDR shader but couldn't yet (
Quote:
20190831-160457_RTL UHD.mkv is UHD-50 hevc 10bit HDR 41Mbps
Not only ordinary HDR, but HLG same time - that's why working with ordinary HDR video like
Quote:
23_Samsung_HDR_Wonderland.mkv UHD hevc 10bit HDR 22.5Mbps
Convert HDR to SDR.hlsl shader gives good result but with HLG 20190831-160457_RTL UHD.mkv oversaturated.
Quote:
mpc-be does some tonemapping by default (using hlsl shaders I believe)
Yes, you're quiet right (btw MPC-HC must output to madVR or use Convert HDR to SDR.hlsl shader with any other renderer to achieve such results - am I right?)
Quote:
If there was a mpv glsl .hook file, that might be a better starting point for a port than libplacebo (c file with inlined GLSL)
From MPC-BE developers I've heard mpv does it on a fly so they are couldn't extract using by mpv shader while playing HLG file (btw they are looking at my researching for HLGtoSDR shader and ready to implement it in MPC-BE like now HDR if result will be positive). Besides quality of tonemapping depends of version of mpv - older than August 2019 are better (newer gives some rose instead of red) on my own so I'd prefer shader extracted from VLC
Quote:
For testing purposes, short samples are probably fine
I agree in your case - you can find them in the bottom of first post https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176909
Quote:
I would suggest downconverting the most relevant ones to 1080p
I guess it's wrong way because HLG metadata can be lost during any conversion so see first post for your other wishes

Last edited by VictorLS; 23rd July 2020 at 14:04.
VictorLS is offline   Reply With Quote