View Single Post
Old 5th January 2017, 03:19   #273  |  Link
Kitty
Registered Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
chroma is very unimportant.

you should always judge the picture quality by your self.
increasing the scaling algorithm until the GPU is at his max is not a proper way to get a good result.

NGU for example is not good for all types of sources.
Don't get me wrong, I understand that luma is much more important than chroma, however I just thought that since we had to upscale chroma to RGB first that it might hold some importance. Also, I'm probably not maxing out my GPU in the sense that you are thinking. I press "CTRL + J" to get the OSD and I look at the frame time to make sure I'm a couple of milliseconds lower.

I primarily watch animated content, such as anime, and NGU in my testing is perfectly fine with it. However, the reason I asked about what was better between my options, which you didn't answer btw :P, was because in my testing I noticed little to no difference between "Chroma Upscaling - low" and "Chroma Upscaling - very high" even when looking an inch away from my monitor and was just wondering theoretically if it mattered more.

After some current testing I think you're right in saying that chroma is less important. I kept the "Chroma Upscaling" at "very high" and just modified the "Image Upscaling" algorithms option. I noticed more of a difference between the options than when I was modifying the "Chroma Upscaling."

So in conclusion, I'm pretty sure that the second set of settings that I proposed in my original question would be the better choice. Producing more noticeable practical results. If anyone else wants to add anything, if I might be missing something, then go right ahead.
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote