View Single Post
Old 20th August 2019, 22:09   #1644  |  Link
dm9656

Just a few words in reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Thanks for the info. However, I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion. First, it should be noted that most relatively old 3D TVs (not UHD) do NOT support Full-TAB or Full-SBS. They require the half resolution, because their decoding buffers are just sufficient for 2D Full-HD. When they play a 3D movie, they have to handle two views at the same time, and therefore, they cannot do it in full resolution.
Yes, I should have mentionned my post did not apply to all TVs indeed.

Quote:
Of course, that limitation doesn't exist on UHD TVs, because their buffers are twice as large as what is needed to decode Full-3D.
Agreed, FTAB/FSBS is mainly intended to get the best out of UHD TVs.

Quote:
Also, I must admit that I don't understand why your TV shows the Full-SBS movies with less quality than Full-TAB. IMO, the two views must be cut BEFORE they are processed for the 3D display, and therefore, there is no reason to prefer one method over the other. But I trust your test. Your TV (and perhaps most or all LG TVs) has a problem with Full-TAB. That doesn't mean that the TVs made by other brands have the same problem. If would be nice to compare the two methods with, say, a Samsung UHD TV. I bet that both methods will give equivalent results.
Yes this is a bit strange and I just noticed this lately, however I have had that TV for nearly 3 years...
BTW "Your TV (and perhaps most or all LG TVs) has a problem with Full-TAB" ==> I guess you wanted to write "with Full-SBS".

Quote:
Anyway, BD3D2MK3D offers all possibilities, so you are free to use what gives the best result with your equipment.
And this is where I give you my best thanks for the excellent work