View Single Post
Old 25th January 2016, 21:18   #779  |  Link
GamBIT_Rus

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
And I disagree on the memory necessary for the encoding. With some encoding options and a moderately powerful PC (with, for example 4GB of RAM), x264 may need some swap space, even when x264 is alone in memory. And when a PC swaps, it becomes extremely slow. If that situation can be avoided simply by closing useless programs, it's certainly a very big advantage. (However, I agree that usually, with standard parameters in Half-SBS or T&B, much memory isn't really necessary.)

Anyway, splitting that option will be just confusing. What is the benefit to exit without launching the encode?

Also, I repeat that originally, that option was not present, and I have added it at the request of an user. But IMO it is important to verify if everything is OK before launching the encoding. Personally, I don't use that option, and I think that it can be removed. So, please don't ask again to modify it, or I may be tempted to simply remove it completely.
Well... I launched the BD3D2MK3D, opened the first BD3D image and looked at how much memory it takes. It takes.... huge 10 Megabytes! :-)
Take my congratulations of the very good programming, really. Such a small amount of used memory is not meeting often. So I think closing the program will help the encoder less than nothing. 10 Mb is only a 1/400 of 4Gb, although I cant believe the video-encoder who use 4Gb in the present days. It also is 1/800 of 8Gb and 1/1600 of my very modest 16Gb.
Yes, using 64-bit OS we can gain all the memory to process, but I cant imagine the x.264 encoder does effectively use 8 Gb for ex. Usually it is used by the system cache, important of course but not necessary to be huge. I promise to look after the memory consumption of x.264 encoding the 1920*2160 Full T/B at the veryslow preset.
I think you did the best with the tiny small program that doesnt obstruct smth. So closing it most likely will not help smth. It will not be probably swapped as the system will not notice it.
Oh no, please do not exclude the "exit and encode" as it is very useful checkbox and that user who had asked this checkbox was really a good guy, God save him :-)