View Single Post
Old 6th September 2017, 08:13   #1228  |  Link
von Suppé

First of all, a big thanks to r0lZ for this awesome software. Unbelievable that I never was aware of the possibilities of this tool.

I'm doing lots of subtitle creating/editing. Also wanting to be able to do that for 3D subs and understanding this piece of gem software, I'm near completing reading this whole thread phew. Wow, it's dazzling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfatula View Post
Why not only the thd?
Looking at the "2: Select streams"-tab I at first was also a bit confused about keeping only the True-HD track.

The box "Use the 5.1 core of DTS-HD, TrueHD and E-AC3 audio streams..." is misleading indeed.
I don't know if this has been addressed already, but TrueHD in a mkv is different than TrueHD on bluray video disc.

TrueHD has no "core". On BD video, next to the TrueHD stream (which is independent) there is an embedded, also independent AC3 stream for legacy reasons. These two independent streams can be "muxed" as one track on BD video.
However, you can't mux both streams as one audiotrack in mkv container. It is possible to mux both streams as separate tracks of course.

DTS-HD is differently in its build-up. It has indeed a (lossy) dts-core (like you'll find on a dvd-video), which is, of course, independent. Next to that core there is extra (dependant) audiodata, which, combined with the dts-core, makes up for the DTS-HD audio. A DTS-HD track can be muxed (as one track) in both BD's m2ts- and mkv container.

So, looking at the previously mentioned box, I would suggest changing it into something like this:

One box for DTS-HD that would say something like: Use only dts-core (If checked, only the dts-core will be muxed. If unchecked, the whole DTS-HD stream will be muxed (as one audiotrack) in the resulting mkv)

And a second box for TrueHD in which one has three choices, something like:

1: AC3 only (one track: only the legacy AC3 track will be muxed)

2: TrueHD only (one track: only the TrueHD track will be muxed)

3: TrueHD track + AC3 track (so, both independent tracks will be muxed as two audiotracks). With maybe the possibility to set one or the other as "default track" ?

Last edited by von Suppé; 6th September 2017 at 08:36. Reason: crossing some tees