View Single Post
Old 14th December 2018, 09:43   #16451  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Emby is much like plex - it uses a server and a client... The upside of this concept is, that you can have one central media server and many clients connecting to them. Since plex and Emby are capable of real time transcoding content while streaming, you can have multiple machines with different capabilities in your setup. For example:

- I can view ALL of my library on any of my mobile phones all over the world - as soon as I have an internet connection fast enough for the quality I want to watch (transcoding is x264 in Plex, donīt know if Emby is up to x265).... If no internet is available, I can set plex up to download the videos in advance and store them on the fone to watch offline
- my TV has had several small media players (fire TV, Android TV Boxes, small NUCs with WIndows / Linux) which all had a Plex Client on it - so I can watch everythin in the lokal network
- If I am at work, I can watch my stuff

The transcoder autoamtically detects the bandwith of the connection, the playback capability of the client and - if needed - transcodes everything accordingly... Of course, transcoding is CPU-intensive, so havnig a small NAS for a few bucks and wanting to transcode 40mbit x264 4K videos is a no go... Any Intel Quick Sync machine or at least some higher Core2Duo machine is enough to have at least 720p with 4Mbit watchable - a 120 Euro Kaby Lake NUC easily transcodes several FUll HD Streams at once...

Most of my files are h265 high quality ac3/dts/etc..- so if one client only is capable of h264 and stereo AAC - no problem, Emby, Plex take care of this and transcode on the fly...
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote