View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2020, 23:53   #10  |  Link
H2sixty
Not a Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
Encoding speed always matters. No one does a full exhaustive motion search even for H.264 or MPEG-2. There are always quality/speed tradeoffs. Even --preset placebo leaves off features that can yield minor quality improvements with major encoding time increases. For example, --tskip isn't used in placebo, because it has no impact on most content. But on cel animation/anime content, it can cut bitrate by >25%.

We're always going to be figuring out the best balance of features to maximize quality for a given perf. And any types of content will always have different attributes that result in an optimum set of features to be used for quality @ perf.

Encoders do a lot of content adaption implicitly and under the hood.
encoding speed does matter, i retested all the settings for speed optimizations without loosing any quality. tough but i had to, otherwise some settings would have been higher then needed, giving that placebo effect & taking unnecessarily long to encode. [EDIT: if i remember correctly it was around 50%+ longer to encode for same quality. that was way before i posted settings at start of thread]

the order of choice was always

#1)quality
#2)size
#3)speed

i just meant that some settings are higher than needed for some content, yet the trade off is not having to tweak and be an expert at settings for every video, (ease of use + possible speed loss + no loss of quality).

[EDIT: tests show no speed lost!]

**however cel animation could use some changes i suggest --tskip (thanks benwaggoner), & --ipratio=1.08 --pbratio=1.00 --deblock=1,1 as per the animation tuned, settings.

the animation setting also suggests --aq-strength 0.4 & --bframes Increase by 2, but --aq-strength has no effect with the more automatic aq mode of --hevc-aq & --bframes more than 8 just add better compression but loss of quality so i do not suggest changing that.

any other cel animation tweaks or settings anyone?

Last edited by H2sixty; 25th September 2020 at 00:10. Reason: added information in [EDIT:]
H2sixty is offline   Reply With Quote