View Single Post
Old 19th December 2017, 20:25   #1593  |  Link
Zenitram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
It would be much easier for user if you used well known values like in x264/x265 documentation. In this case smpte2084 instead of PQ,
bt2020nc, bt2020c instead of BT.2020 non-constant/constant.
I am in good mood, so let's go.

Sure, as soon as you can prove that what x264/x265 do is "well known" for all people involved with colors.
Spoiler: you won't be able to prove that, as I already had the opposite complain ("please use PQ wording, please use well know values, instead of this crazy SMPTE number") during some beta version.

Ho, BTW, please hint x265 people to change their name, because they do HEVC, look at the URL here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_E...y_Video_Coding , "265" is not known by everyone, look it is not in the URL of Wikipedia English (but it is in the French version, funny isn't it?), why do they mislead people with "265" thing? (I use "HEVC" word, sorry "H.265" people)

(A bit) more seriously, please don't do assumption that x265 people have the "real truth", they are not the center of the universe and they don't represent the industry as a whole (because the industry is not a whole), and in the case of "PQ" it is the "well known value" used by one of my sponsor, a lot known in this industry, and actually my policy is to try to avoid SMPTE number (side note: this is "SMPTE ST 2084", not "SMPTE 2084") when I can because they are difficult to memorize (and are less known than the BT ones), beside prioritizing American names (MPEG ones: AVC, HEVC...) other ITU names (H.264, H.265) when it is a joint venture with only different names in their respective standard bodies.
Warning, in the next release there is a change in order to meet this policy, as I was not aware of "well known names" (remark: someone complained about the exact opposite of your remark when he indicated new names, because I was using SMPTE numbers, the ones used by x265, and not "well known names" from his point of view, he wanted me to replace by his "well known values"), I used SMPTE numbers 431-2 and 432-1 (funny isn't it that such numbers are difficult to differentiate? Worse, one is "RP" and the other is "EG" and 431 alone does not exist, it is 431-2) only because I was not aware of "well known names" and I'll replace them by "DCI P3" and "Display P3" (commit).

summary: your "well known values" are not the "well known values" of some other people, and whatever I choose, someone will complain, this is not the first time and it will not be the last time, as MediaInfo is used by a lot of very different people in this industry, each "community" having different "well known value", when I choose a name I am sure another "community" will complain. I may add option "choose your community" in the future if people are crazy enough for paying for seeing their "well known values" instead of the ones I chose.

PS: bt2020nc means exactly "BT.2020 non-constant", I just show something more "readable", why should I limit the display to a limitation of the command line? I may use "codes" (short names without spaces) internally in the future, but nothing says that I would use x264/x265 choices vs other tools choices.

PPS: in an ideal world, everyone would speak the same language and everyone would use the same "well known values", unfortunately we are not in this ideal world so if you don't do any "translation", someone else will do the same remark about his need to have a translation between your values and his values.