View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2014, 09:53   #58  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I don't have Winter Soldier, but if I can buy it, I'll have a look, especially at subtitle #5 of track #6.

You told me that "sub 5 is obviously further separated when viewed through PDVD". That may mean that PDVD doesn't skip the first and last frames when it computes the depth to use. If the Depth values in the 3D-planes for that frames (skipped by BD3D2MK3D but not by PDVD) are higher than the depth of the other frames, PDVD will use the higher values. Have you noticed if that subtitle appears just after or before a cut, or if the depth of the scene changes abruptly at the very beginning or end of the subtitle? If it's the case, we have the explanation. And we can discuss the interest to skip the first and lest frames if you wish...

Do you know that, as explained in various dialogs of BD3D2MK3D, you can modify manually the depth of an individual subtitle by editing the XML file of the temp_2D XML/PNG subtitle saved by BD3D2MK3D during the conversion of the subtitles to 3D? (It's why that temp directory is not deleted by default.)

I have already modified several depths because they were not perfect, and it's relatively easy. You have to figure out the right depth value and it's not always easy, but to determine approximately the depth of the objects during the display of the subtitle, I play the movie in anaglyph mode, and I try to measure the distance along the X axis between the green and red objects. That's the depth of the object. (You can also save a still frame of the T&B or SBS movie and use a paint program to measure the positions of the objects in their respective views. Of course, in SBS mode, that value must be multiplied by 2.)

Usually, I add a few pixels to the measured depth value (to detach the subtitle from the object), then I convert the XML/PNG to 3D, without specifying the 3D-plane file to force the converter to use the <Depth> tags from the XML. It's tedious to do if a lot of subtitles are badly placed, but it's easy if you need to modify only a few subtitles.

Ideally, I would like to do some kind of interactive editor with options to shift any subtitle along the X, Y and Z (depth) axis. But it's too complicated to do for my programming skills, and I doubt that many peoples need such a tool.

Last edited by r0lZ; 23rd August 2014 at 09:56.