View Single Post
Old 25th January 2018, 23:11   #1  |  Link
mustardman

Tracking and Stabilising

Hi,
I've recently returned to the world of video editing (repairing) after a long time away, and I have a clip to repair.

I have a clip (about 5 seconds) where the subject of interest moves quite a bit within the frame, and I would like to track and stabilise the subject (a persons head) so I can further process it and eventually superresolution the result. Captured from VHS, taken inside under incandescent lights (this was well before LEDs and Compact Fluros existed!). Camera quality was OK for the time, but woeful by todays standards. As a result the video is very noisy, but actually cleans up very well with a temporal filter... except when the subject moves!!

The problem:
I've only found two tracking filters (one for AVIsynth and one for VirtualDub), but both simply track the object so it can be pushed to the center of a new frame. Neither correct for zoom or rotation, only X/Y movement.

The Deshaker plugin for VirtualDub is awesome, but the problem is the area for stabilisation is fixed into the frame (eg: I could chose a 100x100 block in the center, but it stabilises the block as a whole, ie: the average of the object plus the background... I only want the object stabilised... Good thing is it will correct for zoom & rotation and I can disable any X/Y correction if required.

My solution to this problem is:
1. Track the object and move it into a new frame so it is always in the center (the AVIsysnth tracker seems a better bet than the VirtualDub tracker - which has some undesirable limitations).
2. Set up Deshaker to process the new frame with the subject now constrained to a known area. Deshaker can then do the zoom & rotation corrections (and final X/Y corrections).
3. Further processing (de-noise/temporal).
4. Superresolution the result.

I guess I came to this forum seeking clarification on 1 & 2 (track & stabilise), but I've pretty much convinced myself that there is no option other than the two-step process I've described.

However, I am open to any suggestions or comments.

Cheers,
MM
mustardman is offline   Reply With Quote