View Single Post
Old 25th August 2019, 10:13   #4  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

@Jamaika... I was excited about VVC H.266 and I still am, however I managed to encode only a few frames after waiting for several minutes. That wouldn't be a big deal, but I wasn't able to see any progress 'till the end of the encode, I had to make a lossless .y2m mezzanine file and I wasn't able to pipe anything from Avisynth. As to the syntax, I got used to encode files with x262, x264, x265 or ffmpeg for other things, however the vvc.exe encoder has a completely different syntax which I still have to learn in order to be familiar with. And last but not least, there's the decoder.exe which decodes videos encoded in VVC H.266, but that's the only decoder as there aren't any decoders that are able to decode it yet (no players, no indexers etc).
I understand that it's still at a very early stage, but at the current stage of things, it's not very easy for me to test and encode files with the encoder.
Perhaps, when something like x266.exe will be released, I'll look more deeply into it.
In the VVC topic I promised that I was going to encode an 8K video file and believe me, I tried, a few months ago and I left my computer running for over 1 hours, but it appeared to be stuck at the very first frames and I eventually stopped it.

Last edited by FranceBB; 25th August 2019 at 10:16.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote