View Single Post
Old 21st July 2022, 21:52   #145  |  Link
DTL

"Does it not support YUV420 in 8bit?"

Practically the only mostly tested format is the YV12 that is separated planes YUV420 in 8bit. That I typically use at my encodings. And block size of 8x8. If you got crash with block size 16 - try to increase padding in MSuper to 16 or more. I think it was fixed in some old versions (may be in the pinterf 2.7.45 source) but if appear again - the current first workaround to try is to increase padding.

So the better MSuper for blocksize=16 is
MSuper(hpad=16, vpad=16)

I even think of making it something like auto-adjust of padding from block size but unfortunately the data flow is from MSuper to downstream filters so MSuper can not get the block size from MAnalyse (in the easy way of current frames sending via AVS environment). And padding of 8 is internal default in MSuper. May be it can be safely enough increased to 16 or even 32 because current PCs typically have more memory. Will try to do it in next builds.

It looks it is old issue of mvtools so in some scripts I see auto-increasing padding to the block size may be added for fail-safety - it it easy in script but may be not possible in a separated filters execution:
Code:
Myblksize = 16
sc=MSuper(hpad=Myblksize, vpad=Myblksize, ...)
MAnalyse(sc, blksize=Myblksize,...)
I know users like block size of 16 because it typically faster onCPU (and with overlap it make not very visible blockiness) but I typically use 8x8 because it give better quality (also as I see 16 is unstable with HW modes at least at my current only avaialble test hardware setup).

Other known issue that SSE2 builds may run unstable with bitdepth >8 on new CPUs. So AVX2 build is recommented where possible.
Also the very few frame sizes were tested - so it is recommended to start from 'standard' of 1920x1080 for FullHD and 3840x2160 for UHD4K. If HW mode will create several buggy blocks lines at the bottom of frame - current workaround is to pad frame from the bottom to several block size lines (I typically use 72 for FullHD and blocksize of 8x8).

The padding is required to keep good quality at the edges of frames because all search, SAD check and blend engines can not operate with parts of blocks (paranoid check of borders will decrease processing speed over all the frame) so for correct and best quality work the padding of at least blocksize size is good. Too large default padding will waste of RAM and may decrease speed. But if 0xC__5 exception occur and increasing padding to some 'large value' like blocksize x10 solves it - it is a mark that some more debug and adjusting of clipping MVs or other bugfix required.

Last edited by DTL; 21st July 2022 at 22:23.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote