View Single Post
Old 9th March 2016, 14:15   #844  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by konikpolny View Post
r0lZ, I must say I would be insanely grateful if you could add the feature of converting srt to ass with the use of original 3D-planes.
I'm working on the SRT to ASS 3D converter, but I have a problem with the fonts.

I know that it is possible to use a custom font and to include it as attachment in the final MKV, so that the players should be able to use the correct font to render the subtitles. But IMO the players able to do that are very rare, and it's probably never the case of most hardware players. Also, currently, I don't know how to determine the filename of the font that the user wants to use, For example, the Times New Roman font is made of 4 files: TIMES.TTF, TIMESI.TTF, TIMESBD.TTF and TIMESBI.TTF. If it seems relatively obvious that "Times New Roman" should be shortened to "Times" to obtain the correct base name of the font file, it's not as easy with other fonts. And I have no way to know if all files must be included, or only some of them. Therefore, I don't think that including the TFF file is a good option. I would prefer to give only the possibility to use an universal font, that exists on (almost) all platforms. As far as I know, only Arial, Times New Roman and Verdana are widely available (under all versions of Windows, Linux and Mac). They are also the 3 only fonts available at the subtitle3d.com web site, and that seems to confirm that they are the 3 "good" fonts to use. But perhaps there are other fonts that any player accepting the subtitles in ASS format must recognise. I've tried to find some info on that subject on the internet, but without success. So, I need some help.

Someone know what ASS/SSA fonts are recognised by all platforms, without the need to install or mux them ?

Would it be a problem if only Arial, Times New Roman and Verdana are available ?

Is it advised to offer the choice of any local font, without muxing them in the final MKV ? What do the players if they cannot use the font referenced in the ASS script ?

It seems that MPC-HC and PotPlayer display correctly the subtitles (at the specified position and with the specified font and font size). Can you confirm ? I use also Aegisub to check the placement of the fonts. Are there other players or editors to check the fonts (and especially their size and position) ?

Otherwise, I think that the rest should not be very difficult to implement. So, I think I'll do it anyway...

Last edited by r0lZ; 9th March 2016 at 14:20. Reason: typo