View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2016, 11:53   #827  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The frame-packing is in the h264 stream. It's the stereoscopy mode that is in the MKV header. They are somewhat equivalent, but not totally. The h264 frame-packing is recognised by more programs, probably because it is used on Youtube. My TV, for example, recognises it, as well, of course, as the Youtube app of the TV. AFAIK, the stereoscopy value in the MKV container is ignored by all programs, apps and hardware players so far. It's a pity, because it is more precise than the frame-packing, as it makes the left or right view first distinction.

BTW, the .mk3d file extension is also ignored by almost all programs. It cannot specify the stereoscopy mode, so it is pretty useless anyway, but it can be useful to call Bino or Sview automatically for all 3D movies, and continue to use your preferred 2D player for the other MKV files. Unfortunately, I have to continue to use the .mkv extension, because my TV doesn't recognises the .mk3d files as movies, and it doesn't display them in the GUI! It's really stupid.