View Single Post
Old 1st March 2016, 15:18   #823  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

MPC HC is a good player, but afaik it doesn't "know" the 3D formats, and it is unable to identify them and switch to the 3D or correct 2D mode automatically. It's why I prefer PotPlayer, but I use MPC too, for 2D, and to verify the SBS/T&B in "two views" format.

There are many settings to tweak in PotPlayer to watch the 3D movies in 2D. First of all, you should include the "magic string" in the file name of the MKV so that it will recognise the correct format, as explained here. It's the same convention than for the Bino player. Although it's not documented, I've found that PotPlayer recognises also "HSBS", "HTAB", "SBS" and "TAB" anywhere in the file name (as long as the surrounding characters are NOT alphanumeric and "3D" is also present), but in that case, you cannot specify the order of the two views. Use the BD3D2MK3D option to generate the correct string automatically. Unfortunately, PotPlayer ignores the stereoscopy and frame-packing information.

For the options in the program, in the Video -> 3D Video Mode menu, I leave "Enable 3D Video Mode", "Auto Detect 3D Input Format" and "Auto Switch Between Video Modes (2D <-> 3D)" always enabled. If you have the correct magic string in the filename, it ignores the "3D Video Input (Source)" settings.

To display the 3D video in 2D, you should select in the "3D Video Output (Screen)" sub-menu, one of the two "3D to 2D" option. (I prefer to use the "(Right or Bottom Image)" one, because usually the dependent stream is for the right or bottom image, and it's a better way to verify if the MVC decoding was OK, but it's not as important for you.) With that menu, you can also convert the 3D to another 3D format, such as Anaglyph. In 2D, the quality of the image is somewhat degraded, and I wonder if it's due to my hardware.

For the subtitles, I suppose you don't need them, since you encode in Full-SBS, and it is not possible to generate 3D subtitles for Full-SBS ot Full-T&B. And currently, the only way to display 3D subtitles with the right depths on Full-SBS/T&B is to hardcode them, and of course in case of hardcoded subtitles, you have nothing to configure. So, the following explanation apply only to Half-SBS/T&B with 3D subtitles streams.

In the Subtitles -> 3D Subtitles (Stereoscopic) menu (identical to the "Video -> 3D Video Mode -> 3D Subtitles (Stereoscopic)" menu), you should enable "Do not use", "Subtitle Output Before Resizing" and "Identify 3D Subtitle Mode by Filename".

When you watch the video in 2D and you select a 3D subtitle stream, it is important to select the option "Display subtitles on Video (TV-OUT)" in the Subtitles menu, otherwise you'll get two subtitles in SBS or T&B format over a 2D video! And if you select a 2D stream, you must use the other option "Display subtitles on Overlay/VMR/EVR Surface", otherwise you'll see only an half of the subtitle in SBS, or nothing in T&B.

Note that currently, it seems that PotPlayer has some trouble playing the BD SUP streams. Some subtitles are never displayed, and sometimes, a specific subtitle stays on screen forever (or up to the next subtitle). I hope the author will fix that bug rapidly.

Now, it's my turn to request something. Can you explain what you did to watch a Half-SBS movie in 2D with MPC-HC? I would like to check if it is as easy to do it than with PotPlayer, and if MPC can display the 3D subtitles correctly in 2D. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by r0lZ; 1st March 2016 at 15:24.