View Single Post
Old 12th October 2009, 22:37   #10072  |  Link
mark0077

Hi all, I have a very strange bug to report. I have been digging to find the cause of it over the past few days, but can't figure out what the cause is.

I have ripped a DVD to mkv (The World Is Not Enough). Now there is areas around the mkv chapters in this mkv file where mpc-hc will give a strange sound, like as if the audio is speeding up / slowing down slightly (the effect the video renderers or reclock often give when speeding up / slowing down) to get back to sync. Its very strange because one time I can play straight through with no problems (confirming the file seems ok?) and another time I can constantly repeat the problem.

I have tried with internal / haali mkv splitter, ffdshow audio decoding vs mpc-hc decoding, reclock on or off, and even using overlay mixer vs evr-cp. I can always seem to reproduce.

Another thing to note, when I play past the area that causes problems, and then seek back and play past it again, I don't think I have ever reproduced the problem. Its like as if some cache / buffer stops the problem happening a second time. I have to reload the file to reproduce.

I used the latest makemkv to create the file, and even removing the chapters from the mkv using mkvmerge, the problem still appears around where the chapters are (maybe its a crazy coincidence).

I have just tried with vlc media player and it gives a noticible blip / skip when going past the chapter.

Can anyone suggest something to try. If the mkv plays fine on second or third passes, doesn't this suggest the problem isn't with the file (or is it possible makemkv didn't do a great job)? Converting this mkv to a .ts file plays perfectly without sound slowdowns / speedups. Very annoying / confusing.

Last edited by mark0077; 12th October 2009 at 22:41.