View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2016, 00:57   #17  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
p.s @johnmeyer... if I got you wrong, feel free to tell me.
One key point is wrong: the pulldown is done by repeating fields, not frames. This is a very important distinction, especially in this case because the repeats included in the animation are complete frames, whereas the repeats added in order to make 23.976 progressive film play on a 29.97 frames per second (nominally 60 fields per second) NTSC TV set are all done by repeating fields. The term "3:2 pulldown" refers to the fact that 3 fields from the same frame are shown in a row, the top and bottom from an original frame of film, and then the next frame of 29.97 video is a repeat of the top field from the previous frame, and then the bottom field of the next frame. Some people get confused by this and think the frame which has fields from two adjacent frames will look horrible, but they forget that video is a continuous process, and the motion on the top frames is always going forward and the motion on the bottom frame is always going forward. While your mind does "sense" a little more judder because of the repeats, there is no other artifact (i.e., no blurring, and no backwards/forwards motion like you get when you reverse field dominance).

And yes, VCD is always progressive. SVCD and XVCD did allow for interlaced video, but not VCD.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote