View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2016, 16:54   #12  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJCZP View Post
I suspect that with ovr (overrides) option of Tdecimate (see Tdecimate documentation) and sequence of + and - you can find the pattern.
You are not understanding. Animation, especially anime and older cell animation, often repeats a frame many, many, many times as the character pauses to look at something, or the camera takes a long shot. Repeating frames saves having to draw more frames, something that take huge amounts of time and money.

I've transferred lots of old 16mm prints of cartoons and walked through them frame-by-frame. This completely eliminates the entire video process, so telecine and pulldown never enter into the mix. The film itself contains repeated frames. If you then telecine this material by adding pulldown, you get pulldown field repeats on top of frame repeats. Undoing this requires a different approach than looking for patterns.

The point I have made twice and will now make for the last time is that these pauses have no pattern whatsoever and depend on the story line and character action.

Finally, please, please read the TDecimate documentation and read what it says about mode=1. This is the mode for animation and if you read the documentation, it tells you how TDecimate "solves" the problem of irregular repeated frames in telecined material and how to handle it.

The work has already been done for you: no need to reinvent the wheel.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote