View Single Post
Old 16th October 2015, 00:08   #634  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

For editing text subs individually, I recommend Aegisub because you can see the subtitle over the video and sync it visually with the waveform of the audio, but if you need only to stretch and/or shift the whole subtitle stream, Subtitle Edit is more than sufficient.

In the 3D-Planes, there is a 3D depth value for each frame, but often, when there is no subtitle displayed, the values are undefined, and I can't invent them. (It's why it is important to select a guide stream containing roughly the same subtitles, including the forced subtitles.)

For a specific subtitle, BD3D2MK3D tries to use the best depth value from those defined in the 3D-Plane for its frames. Normally, if for a specific subtitle all frames have a defined depth, BD3D2MK3D drops the 10 first frames and 10 last frames and uses the highest value within the remaining range. (The dropped frames are ignored to minimize the risk to use a value pertaining to another shot just because the subtitle overlaps that shot during a few frames. And if the subtitle "enters" within an object during less than 10 frames, the brain has not enough time to record the information, and it's not really a problem.)

When only some frames have defined values, a warning is added in the XML, but the subtitle's depth is computed anyway.

When there are no defined values at all, BD3D2MKL3D searches if there are defined values 10 frames before the start or 10 frames after the end of the subtitle and if it's the case, it uses that values. Otherwise, it gives up and uses 0 (plus the additional depth value, if provided). IMO, it is useless and dangerous to use frames outside that range, because the risk to use depths values made for a totally different shot is too big, and the overall depth of a shot may be radically different than the depth of the next or previous shot.

You can easily locate the subtitles having an undefined depth or having a depth computed with only some partial depth values by looking at the warnings in the XML file, and manually fix the depth of those subtitles if necessary, as explained in the note at the end of the mini guide.

The only thing that, I think, may still be improved is this: If a subtitle has only undefined depth values, it's probably because the same subtitle doesn't exist in the guide stream. Currently, in that situation, BD3D2MK3D gives up. It should be possible to search the other 3D-Plane files, and use the values from the first plane containing valid depth values for that specific subtitle. There will be no guarantee that the final depth will be correct if the 3D-Plane has been made for a very different language, but with some luck, the depth will be better than the default value of 0. Maybe I'll implement that when I'll have some time...

Last edited by r0lZ; 16th October 2015 at 00:12.