View Single Post
Old 13th May 2013, 07:06   #74  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Wikipedia says that WebP only supports 8-bit YUV 4:2:0 Is it true? This is unacceptable if it is and format can be thrown into trash can instantly.
Jpeg with maximum quality looks visually lossless while size is like half of the optimized PNG. And this is 4:4:4, Photoshop doesn't even lets you to save jpeg with subsampling.

I just discovered some WebP plugin for photoshop based on libwebp/libvpx. Tried to save photoshop-generated tri-color gradient with it (1024x576, dithered).
With maximum quality (100%) settings I got 20kb file that looks so bad that I'm not even going to post it. Jpeg of the same size created in photoshop looks the same (if not to say better!)
No mentions of any lossless mode or something. And what about metadata or custom ICC profiles? WebP supports that? Not through this plugin at least. But even if that supported in theory, from (non-web)designers and artist's point of view, saving in some intermediate format and then properly converting it to WebP using some commandline tools is not an option.
Also I need a tool that can not only save file, but allows me to specify target filesize instead of desired quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuqueque View Post
I can start saying (repeating) that WebP is better than PNG in 95% of cases, ergo, is better than APNG and of course, GIF; second, in most cases WebP is better than JPEG...
Where is any tools that will allow me and other users to see it? I'd like to test them. Please no commandline stuff. Something with GUI that is easy to use, as we're talking about simple users here. Available tools is what matters for wide adoption, not how good the format is. "open standard" is not something normal users care about.

Edit: To be clear, I don't deny that such tools may exist. I just want information on where they are. But if there is no such tools, even if format many times better than jpeg - it doesn't matter.
Tried plugin for GIMP. the only option is quality. with 100% quality I got 30kb image - a bit more than with Photoshop plugin but looks just as crappy. No mentions of lossless mode, no ways to save real high quality but still lossy image, no mentions about animation, no mentions about ICC profiles, no alpha support. And this is plugin that I need previously find and then install. As a simple user I demand out of the box support. Otherwise this is an image format for geeks.

Edit2: simple example. Below I tried to embed WebP image using [img] tag. It works? Not in firefox at least. As simple user, before I'll even think about using this format, someone have to make sure it does work in all browsers. Even on official WebP presentation page all images converted to png for display. What joke is that?

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 13th May 2013 at 09:00.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote