View Single Post
Old 21st October 2021, 10:59   #74  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey_monkey View Post
Is this why so many American TVs can't display 50fps? Because they use fixed 60Hz or 120Hz panels, whereas in PAL land they more or less have to use variable rate panels?
they most likely simply don't bother adding it. they are clearly don't produce worse panels for the US instead of the same panel for every country.

Quote:
I doubt that. Variable rate panels haven't been around that long.

Your TVs run 24fps cinema at 25fps (4% speedup) unless the frames been treated to Euro pull-down. And I'll bet there's a Euro telecine that adapts 29.970fps to 25fps. ...Or are you saying that you can take a Region 1 DVD that's hard telecined to 30000/1001fps and play it on a d-PAL TV and people don't sound like they're falling asleep or on tranquilizers?
i have not seen a TV or even monitor in germany that can't natively do 50 HZ and 60 HZ and i count CRT into this too. of cause we can play all region on our devices why wouldn't we... you just need to rip it, have a player of that region or a region lock free player.

Quote:
I am pretty sure my BRAVIA doesn't interpolate/3:2 pulldown 24hz sources. How does it do it then?
we can only guess or your device is just a native 120 HZ panel which is very common for sony TVs.
maybe they just do 48 HZ and the rest didn't come up with that simple trick. taking an old TV with 50 and 60 HZ support and giving it a custom refreshrate of 48 HZ is pretty trivial. modern TV don't like custom refreshrate anymore they may work but huge changes are suually rejected on the other hand they are usually 120 HZ anyway.

pulldown is part of interlacing/telecine while i totally undertstand what you mean 3:2 judder should be clear enough and no there is no difference between 3:2 or 2:3 it's just where you start counting.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote