View Single Post
Old 26th May 2022, 02:36   #89  |  Link
BuccoBruce

I'm hoping MCW working on this means VVC won't face as much of an uphill battle with functional rate control or single threaded performance as VP9/AV1 did. Anyone know what their demo at NAB was like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvqcl View Post
That was a side effect of a regression in their HEVC Extension, downgrading it fixed it as soon as the bug was introduced in 2020. I'd know, I still have Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_1.0.31823.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx on my NAS for any machines that I forgot to disable Store updates for it on! It does finally work fine now, they did something to either the extension itself or Edge in March (likely both) and finally fixed it, nearly two years later. I wonder if they've actually paid out to HEVC Advance / MPEG LA for all the free HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer downloads out there.

You used to be able to build Chromium itself using a modified ffmpeg build that could play anything (including HEVC) but the old methods you can find online no longer work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
At the time (before I was involved in SMPTE) I figured that J2K was used for digital cinema in large part to make it that much harder for pirates to be able to play them on PCs .
BuccoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote