View Single Post
Old 9th June 2021, 10:31   #114  |  Link
Hotte

Hi,

I am coming back to the TV/Full-Range discussion, because still I am not 100% sure how to handle this correctly. I have got much more 8-bit full-footage, but also TV-range stuff.

So a maybe silly question at the beginning: Why does full-range footage on a tv-range player look so much more contrasty ?

I thought, that full uses the lower and upper ends of the range and TV doesn't.

I'd understand if these ends are just simply being cut off and you miss some blacks and whites.

I'd also understand that - if it is smarter - the full contrast range is being mapped proportionally to fit into a tighter range and you end up with the same contrast appearance but less contrast variation within the range.

What I do not understand is why the whole contrast range looks completely different as if sbd boosted the gamma curve. Is this a compatibility issue and so interpreted the wrong way ?

I was told in this thread that it is ok to record and filter with full (since this gives more headroom especially in 8-bit) but the final result should be in tv-range. However I do not want the contrast to be completely spoiled and I do want to make use of the full contrast range that I recorded.

How is that to be achieved in AVS+ ?
Hotte is offline   Reply With Quote