View Single Post
Old 28th September 2016, 14:32   #1079  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, well, I understand your reasons, but your way to display the Full-SBS is very specific and not used by many users. I'm not sure that adding the 3D subtitles as Half-SBS outside the container makes much sense, except for you. Also, it is possible and easy to convert then to Half-SBS yourself. All you have to do is to note the 3D-Plane to use (It is displayed in tabs 1 and 2), then extract the 3D-Planes from the original MVC video stream (with Subtitle Tools -> Extract 3D-Plane from MVC), and convert the original 2D subtitles to 3D (with the first option in the same menu). Normally, that's straightforward and easy. At least, it's much easier than converting 2D SRT to 3D ASS.

I may add an option to generate the Half-3D subtitles anyway for Full-SBS and Full-T&B, and mux them in the final video (even if your player needs them outside) because, indeed, they can be useful if the player resizes the video itself AND if the subtitles are displayed AFTER that operation, but I will need some time. Currently, I'm busy on other things. In the meantime, you can convert the subtitles to whatever you want yourself.

The fact that you cannot use Full-SBS ASS is probably due to a bad configuration of your player. Personally, I use PotPlayer to verify the 3D movies on my PC, and it has an option to display the subtitles before or after the conversion to 3D. It's not exactly the same thing for you, but it's similar. The player must display the 3D subtitles before the conversion (because they are split later, with the video), and the 2D subtitles after the conversion (because otherwise the 2D subtitles are split in two halves). A similar option may (should?) exist for your player. If you can display the Full-3D ASS subtitles over the ORIGINAL video, and either resize the video with the player after that, or let the TV resize the video, the subtitles should be OK. Note also that it is perfectly possible to generate Half-SBS ASS subtitles with BD3D2MK3D.

Thanks for the thanks for the ASS-3D conversion tool! Note that I don't use the 3D-ASS subtitles myself, and I have not tested much that function. But I have noticed that the first subtitle was missing after converting a SRT encoded in UTF8 or UTF16 format. I have tried to fix that bug, but I'm still not sure it works fine in all cases. So, if you use that function, please verify if the first subtitle is correct and not missing, and let me know if the bug is still not fixed.