View Single Post
Old 15th October 2011, 21:03   #5  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
shouldn't you just look for a frame change after a doubleweave?
Yes, but is there software that can do a better job of this than TFM/TDecimate, or am I overlooking some better settings for this software combination?

Quote:
find below a little bit extra processing which uses Didee's Blur(0,1.0) from your other thread. I've left in two flavours of MCDegrain, for you to try.
Thank you very much for that. I use "VideoFred's" film restoration script that is the subject of a long and active thread elsewhere in this forum subsection:

The power of Avisynth: restoring old 8mm films

It has some great degraining, sharpening, dirt removal, and other features built in. Here is a few seconds, from the same film in the above example, showing not only that my existing method does a pretty good job (but not perfect, which is why I started this thread) of recovering the original frames, but also showing the result of running a modified version of VideoFred's excellent script:

Clip from 1964 Speech

On this particular project, I used Mercalli, rather than the Depan stabilization built into VideoFred's script, to completely eliminate gate weave. Mercalli's setting to simulate a perfectly fixed camera is amazingly good.

Quote:
I would strongly suggest that you synchronize the camcorder to the projector (or vice-versa).
That is definitely another way to accomplish the objective of getting exactly one frame of film onto one frame of video (so-called "frame accurate" transfer). I am very familiar with the various ways this can be done with a projector (as well as the "ultimate" way to transfer, namely a Rank Cintel).

I actually own one of Roger Evans (MovieStuff) "Workprinter" projector units that does this syncrhonization via a cam mounted on the projector which operates a mechanical switch each time the film is pulled down. This switch is wired to the left mouse button of a modified mouse, and the resulting "left click" causes a camcorder or camera to take a single-frame snapshot. The resulting snaps are assembled into an AVI file.

Of course, the older methods used in film chains, using analog cameras, really don't translate to the digital world.

The one problem with mechanical synchronization is that they require a large amount of modification to the projector, as you will see if you look at the various other schemes invented to accomplish "frame accurate" film to video transfer. By contrast, my method only requires removal of the shutter, something that only took about fifteen minutes on my Eiki SSL projector and which is easily and quickly reversable.

The only reason for starting this thread is that my method sometimes skips a frame, and then introduces a duplicate frame. I can correct this using the "filldrops" script posted on this forum several years ago, but it would be much, much better to not have the problem in the first place.
johnmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote