View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2022, 02:43   #110  |  Link
Cyber Akuma

@richy

Thanks, let me make sure that I understood this right:

So those three lines that DanTheMann15 posted are all I would need to decrypt any 4K Blu-Ray that's MKBv71 or earlier (I am not sure what MKB even is), but every disk that I do, it gets cached so that a key to decrypt just that disk is stored?

And if I put in a disk that is MKBv72 or later (how does one even check that?) it will somehow disable any UHD Blu-Ray decrypting on that drive until a new host key is released somehow?

One thing I don't understand is why the whole revoking keys thing still happens even if you have custom firmware. Does the custom MakeMKV firmware not disable this? Or is it something very hard-coded and not possible to disable? I don't really understand how if you have access to the files on the system itself (A PC in this case) and the drive's firmware that you can still somehow have your keys get permanently revoked. And how come MakeMKV is still able to decrypt disks despite this revocation.

Also, if the reason the KEYDB.cfg file is so massive is because it contains a huge list of known cached UHD keys, then why was neither Sonic 2 nor Avengers playing? I noticed that there are multiple entries for both of those movies in the latest KEDYB.cfg, so if those are cached keys then shouldn't those disks still play even with the host key revoked?