View Single Post
Old 15th November 2015, 21:16   #19  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
Or the 64-bit version of AviSynth+ r1825 so that the FFmpeg build matches. May be a little limited on plugins, but there is a running list of compatible ones on the AviSynth+ page on the avisynth.nl wiki.
AviSynth+ doesn't yet have a MT version that is functional. The performance loss of not using MT would nullify any benefit to using x64 processing.

I was wondering why they couldn't just get the MT version working until I tried creating some threads in C++, at which point I realized that multi-threaded programming in C++, especially when you don't want to create locks, is a huge mess that even experts get lost with. Because the C++ compiler has no awareness of threads, when it compiles multi-threaded code, the order of operations is random, what you see happening is random, memory data gets corrupted and the behavior is "undefined". Working your way to fix bugs from there is extremely hard. Some C++ experts even say that there is no such thing as bug-free multi-threaded C++ programs.

Let's hope someone will make AviSynth+ MT work some day; without crashing on NNEDI3 plugin.

Quote:
I've not done any listening tests, but I would assume that given enough bitrate, the quality issues that the free encoders might be subject to would eventually disappear. Basically, if you use vo_aacenc or the native aac encoder, just use 320kbps or whatever the upper limit on AAC is. And there have been a lot of recent (July-October of this year) commits to the native AAC encoder, but where all of those put the native encoder in the rankings now I don't know.
Of course if you encode low-quality audio with a bitrate way too high, you won't get as much quality loss. To compare 2 encoders, it has to be compared at the same bitrate.

Quote:
Although if you're not married to the idea of requiring AAC in the final encode, you could always use Vorbis or Opus and output to an MKV file instead.
If I'm not married to using AAC audio in a MP4 container, then I'll muxe the original audio back into the processed video into a MKV container. No re-encoding = best quality.

If I want to have a standard MP4 file, however, then that's where re-encoding becomes useful.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote