View Single Post
Old 18th February 2015, 11:33   #191  |  Link
zaphodalive

The aspect ratio with Stereoscopic Player doesn't need to be 16:9, it is fully capable of dealing with a 3840x1080 video with a 1:1 pixel ratio and convert it to a 16:9 interleaved output because each of the left and right images is still stored as 16:9 (for a total 32:9 in SBS) - so yes, the output has to be 16:9 as you say but the input doesn't. I'm not sure in what order video processing occurs, so I'm concerned that a 3840x1080 video with a 1:2 pixel ratio - i.e. displaying as 1920x1080 (16:9) - would be rendered with a Directshow filter and then split into two 960x1080 images (for left and right eye) and then scaled up to two 1920x1080 images and interleaved for the output. Essentially this would mean that half of the horizontal data is lost in the conversion process, just as if I'd encoded it in half-SBS to begin with. Of course this may be completely wrong and the full 3840x1080 image may be used, but I don't know if that's the case.

To avoid that issue I prefer to encode in full 3840x1080 with the full 32:9 aspect ratio, then I know that whatever process sequence Stereoscopic Player uses to get to the interleaved output should use the full image quality. In addition it allows me to open up the file easily in MPC and check the quality of the encode.

Reading over what I just wrote I realise it's a bit hard to follow so I'm not sure if you'll get exactly what I'm saying. Either way it's no big deal, as I mentioned I can edit the mux options txt manually to remove the container aspect ratio as I've been doing so far, so you don't need to add anything extra to the config file.