View Single Post
Old 21st January 2012, 10:07   #4  |  Link
legrant

Thanks for the replies folk. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR03 View Post
Are you capturing to one format, editing and re-saving to another? Remember if you capture in DVD compliant MPEG-2, when you edit to a single frame or do fades/wipes the video gets re-encoded which loses quality. You might try capturing lossless before you edit and save to your final format. If you plan to save to DVD, throw lots of bitrate at it for the final file.
I'm capturing to .AVI - and I want to 'manipulate' the .AVI to improve the quality (trimming the scan lines, de-interlace, aspect ratio, etc. The project is to archive the footage in a digital format rather than for immediate conversion to DVD. However, thanks for the pointer about bitrate - I keep that in mind as now doubt some of them will be transferred to DVD at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
You might want to explain the process you're using in a little more detail. I don't know anything about your card, but for instance are you using the card's own software to capture and save the video to a file, then opening it with another program for conversion, or are you capturing directly with another program such as Premier or VirtualDub etc. What format are you using for saving the captured video and are you then editing it or are you just "recording". That sort of thing.
Where in the process is quality lost (compared to the preview of the captured video)?
Some of the footage I will need to do some basic editing, the majority of the work is archive with some cleanup and a bit of trimming.

I'm using the card's own software which is no great shakes (it does keep crashing). It will allow me to capture an .avi file but it's impossible to tell which codec it is using. The quality isn't good though. I've also got Premiere 6 but this refuses to link to the analogue capture card (a message about it already being in use - I've tried to cure that but to no avail). I attempted a capture with VirtualDub, the picture quality seemed OK the audio sync was out by the end of the capture (only a 28min film).

I downloaded a demo of Premiere Elements 10 to see what that did and it will talk to the analogue capture card, it'll capture the .avi (I selected a lossless format) but the capture seems very dark. I tried a few of the Elements filters to perk it up but the footage ends up looking like a Real-Player movie circa 1992.

Much of the loss seems to come when I try and play with the aspect ration. The footage is 16:9 but obviously it comes in from the VCR as 4:3.

If I pass the footage through the DV camera into either Premiere 6 or Premier Elements 10 - the quality seems better (there are sill too many interlace lines for my liking) but the aspect ratio is still wrong. Maybe I'm getting too excited about aspect ratio
legrant is offline   Reply With Quote