View Single Post
Old 27th October 2019, 19:44   #3  |  Link
Nintendo Maniac 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorC View Post
I wonder why dav1d developers have dedicated time to optimize for SSE2. Isn't SSSE3 already old enough? AMD has catched up and implemented SSSE3 in 2011.
AMD's non-DDR4 processors with SSSE3 were...underwhelming to say the least (the only exception being their Atom-competitor chips such as the Jaguar cores used in consoles, but it certainly wasn't their absolute performance that made them exceptions, far from it in fact).

A good amount of people saw no reason to upgrade from their SSE3-at-max AMD CPUs regardless of whether that was a Phenom II (especially those using the 6 core) or the first-gen "Llano" laptop APUs, worse still because of requiring different motherboards for either (AM3+ and FM2). Heck, when the first gen AM3+ FX CPU reviews landed, it was even common for people to instead upgrade to the Phenom II X6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorC View Post
P.S. Few years ago I have tested 10 years old laptop with Pentium T4200 (SSSE3) which now rests unused. It could barely play Youtube VP9 720p videos while still dropped some frames
VP9 decoding in browsers was woeful back then. I was able to run YouTube's 1080p30 VP9 encodes on 2.0GHz first-gen Core 2 Duo (2MB L2 cache) and their 1080p60 VP9 encodes on a 2.4GHz second-gen Core 2 Duo (3MB L2 cache) if I ran the video stream through MPC-HC/LAVfilters, but the results were terrible in the browser. This was because the browsers at the time all used libvpx while MPC-HC/LAVfilters used ffvp9 (which actually for quite a while ran just as terribly if your CPU didn't support SSSE3 and/or you were using 32bit MPC-HC/LAVfilters, this however isn't the case anymore)

For reference your Pentium is the same exact architecture as a second-gen Core 2 Duo but has 1MB of L2 cache, so I would expect its IPC to be similar to a first-gen 2MB L2 Core 2 Duo.
2x2GB+2x1GB DDR3-1333 | 4x4GB DDR3-1600       

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64; 28th October 2019 at 00:05.
Nintendo Maniac 64 is offline   Reply With Quote