View Single Post
Old 29th November 2008, 01:59   #1  |  Link
jase99
*nix

Encoding Cartoons

How to decimate Looney Tunes NTSC DVD correctly? Here is a 17 MB 30 second sample: http://dump.no/files/3f6bbbed6f05/VTS01_PGC02_cut.m2v

First of all I believe the correct decimation approach needs to be selected and progressive frames recovered.

DGIndex reports (on the demuxed episode from which the sample was cut):
Stream Type: Elementary
Profile: main@main
Frame Size: 720x480
Display Size:
Aspect Ratio: 4:3 [2]
Frame Rate: 29.970030 fps
Video Type: Film
Frame Type: Progressive
Coding Type: B
Colorimetry: BT.470-2 B,G*
Frame Structure: Frame
Field Order:
Coded Number: 10285
Playback Number: 2
Frame Repeats: 0
Field Repeats: 0

This is what I've tried (but do not know if it is correct) :

I see frames which are almost duplicates and interlacing. By stepping through field by field I believe there are 12 unique frames per second and made this script:

MPEG2Source("VTS01_PGC02_cut.d2v")
SeparateFields()
SelectEvery(5,0,1)
Weave()
Crop(2,2,-2,-2)

Progressive frames appear to be recovered correctly, 11.988fps is returned.

I'm worried about patten lock so tried to use tdecimate:

MPEG2Source("VTS01_PGC02_cut.d2v")
TFM()
TDecimate(mode=1,cycleR=3,cycle=5)
Crop(2,2,-2,-2)

This recovers progressive frames almost ok and I don't have to worry about pattern lock anymore, but the 2nd frame is missing and (ignoring the 1 frame offset) all subsequent frames are slightly different to the first scripts output (something to do field field order perhaps?). The first script produces clearer images, I think TFM is bluring the output of the 2nd script, but without it interlacing remains. Since the first script appears to recover progressive frames correctly I assume this source does not need a de-interlacing filter.

I have zero experience encoding cartoons/anime so this is all guess work. Please guide me in the right direction.

Last edited by jase99; 29th November 2008 at 02:31.
jase99 is offline   Reply With Quote