View Single Post
Old 19th January 2007, 15:54   #8  |  Link
Janvitos

Alright. Here's an update on the situation with blueray.

I've been reading the documents concerning AACS and the blueray format.
There are a lot of interesting things in there but it seems that we're gonna have a harder time with this than HD DVD.

First of all, it seems like the blueray format has a tendency to only use 1 key instead of many.
This might be a problem when trying to search the memory dumps since we are looking for a single 128 bit key rather than 8, 11 or even 60.
Just to let you know, the blueray format employs the term "CPS Unit Key" rather than "Title Key" but both are the same.
They also talk about Volume Unique Key which means they most likely also use it.

One of the other major drawback would be the lack of clues residing inside the CPS Unit Key File (Title Key File).
The Title Key File for the HD DVD format has plain text strings (such as VPLST000.XPL) but the CPS Unit Key File has none.
The file is mostly comprised of zeros and the encrypted key.

In the end of the line, we pretty much will have to follow a different path than we did with HD DVD.

Another important matter, and a question i will dare ask, are the keys for blueray in WinDVD's memory ?
Unfortunately i cannot check PowerDVD's memory because the program tells me my graphics driver is not HDCP compliant (although i can playback blueray movies through WinDVD just fine).
I also tried a most recent version of PowerDVD but this one doesn't seem to playback video properly as i get sound, but really ugly / scrambled-like video.

I will continue to work on this like i did with HD DVD.

Last edited by Janvitos; 19th January 2007 at 15:58.
Janvitos is offline   Reply With Quote