View Single Post
Old 29th January 2010, 07:48   #33  |  Link
Digital Corpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm View Post
I don't think there's a way. Errors would need to be fixed while demuxing by dropping broken audio frames and video GOPs. Perhaps xport would do this for you?

You could also try mplayer -vo null -ao pcm:file=out.wav to decode and pipe audio to NeroAACEnc and then pipe video to x264 in another run with mplayer -ao null -vo yuv4mpeg. If that doesn't work well enough, just use MEncoder as you did before.

If you use x264's libavformat or FFMS2 support to input a muxed file or stream, it will discard the audio. When using raw video inputs, there's no way to include audio at all.
I'll look into xport. I basic compilation in my linux box seems to execute it fine (outputted help info given no parameters), but I actually have to try it out. Only reason I don't process the video and audio separately is because mencoder needs both to be encoded at once in order properly keep A/V sync, else I'd demux the audio and video and process them separately. I'm using faac since I'm on a linux box. It's no frills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Don't use PSNR / SSIM for real quality analysis!!! Especially with psy options turned on. You need to make a visual comparison in cases like this.

Also, don't pick and choose options from --preset faster or --preset fast. Use one or the other

If you need more granularity, then we can discuss what can be dropped to be least harmful to quality.

~MiSfit
Fair enough, but I thought that was only when you compare the effects of psy options.

I need that granularity which is a partial reason why I started this thread. Shall I provide a sample of the source in the form of screen to show the lack of quality I have to combat to help ease the decision making?

Last edited by Digital Corpus; 29th January 2010 at 07:56. Reason: removed offering partial copy of OTA broadcast.
Digital Corpus is offline   Reply With Quote