View Single Post
Old 15th October 2009, 17:28   #10121  |  Link
mark0077

If people, even dolby or dts can't agree, I don't think you or anyone can say mpc-hc is correct...... It outputs to BACK in both of our cases, so mpc is WRONG!!!! I personally have much more dolby content than dts, and like having speakers set to the side, but the software should handle this mess by detecting what the drivers decision is.

My conclusion is that people shouldn't have to manually do anything, that mpc-hc should send surround where the drivers expose, in our case our soundcards should expose the side. mpc-hc sends to the back (if you use ffdshow you will see input and output all the way shows back).... which is wrong, plain and simple.. What your driver does after that is its own business, but the fact your card sends to the sides in this case isn't enough, the software should send to the right place in the first place.

Sending to back is fine for you, your card sends this to side itself I assume, for others this might not be the case. If the application sends to the correct place originally, then the drivers wouldn't have to do this as an after process.

Conclusion: I agree with you, if using 5.1 speakers, connect your surround speakers to whatever is exposed by your drivers, which in my and your case, this is the sides. BUT mpc-hc sending to back is still wrong, it does send to back and this is not correct for our setups, simple as that like. It doesn't auto detect what is exposed by the driver correctly!!!!!!!! but depending your driver this may or may not have a negative impact. The driver may compensate / upmix from back to side channel or vice versa.

Any mpc-hc developers want to inform us if its mixer tries to auto-detect where to send surround channels? Until then I can only assume it either does try and fails for both my and your drivers, or doesn't try at all in which case we need a more visible option for choosing between side and rear.

Mercury: As an expirement, you could try manually telling mpc-hc (what it should do automatically?) to output to side channels rather than back, and see if you still hear 5.1 surround tests from your side channels.

If you still hear audio from sides, then this confirms your soundcard is taking back from mpc-hc and magically mapping it to the sides (others arn't so fortunate)
If you don't hear audio from sides, I assume your back / side physical connections are swapped.

Either way mpc-hc is 100% wrong in not outputting to side channels in both of our cases.

Last edited by mark0077; 15th October 2009 at 18:00.