View Single Post
Old 15th October 2009, 11:59   #10107  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury_22 View Post
The following table shows the speaker configurations that are defined for DVD: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791058.aspx

Configuration -> Speaker position
KSAUDIO_SPEAKER_GROUND_FRONT_LEFT -> SPEAKER_FRONT_LEFT
KSAUDIO_SPEAKER_GROUND_FRONT_CENTER -> SPEAKER_FRONT_CENTER
KSAUDIO_SPEAKER_GROUND_FRONT_RIGHT -> SPEAKER_FRONT_RIGHT
KSAUDIO_SPEAKER_GROUND_REAR_LEFT -> SPEAKER_BACK_LEFT
KSAUDIO_SPEAKER_GROUND_REAR_RIGHT -> SPEAKER_BACK_RIGHT
KSAUDIO_SPEAKER_TOP_MIDDLE -> SPEAKER_TOP_CENTER
KSAUDIO_SPEAKER_SUPER_WOOFER -> SPEAKER_LOW_FREQUENCY

KSAUDIO_SPEAKER_5POINT1 -> (SPEAKER_FRONT_LEFT | SPEAKER_FRONT_RIGHT | SPEAKER_FRONT_CENTER | SPEAKER_LOW_FREQUENCY | SPEAKER_BACK_LEFT | SPEAKER_BACK_RIGHT)
The speaker configuration for a 5.1-channel surround format is defined by the constant KSAUDIO_SPEAKER_5POINT1_SURROUND in the preceding table. The geometric layout of the speakers is shown in the following figure, which shows the positions of the front-left, front-right, front-center, side-left, and side-right speakers.

Also from DTS
7.1 channels, for more intense movies and music

DTS-HD is capable of 7.1 channels of sound, totally immersing you in movies and music. (Remember, a typical 5.1-channel system consists of two front and two rear speakers, a center-channel speaker, and a subwoofer / bass management channel, which is the ".1") By using two additional channels — for "side surround" speakers at your left and right — sound can be more accurately placed in your listening room. This means that special effects pans, like jet-fighter flyovers or arrows whizzing past you, will be more dramatic and life like.
OK cheers. So its clear to me from what I have read over the past few days that there isn't a correct definition of surround, side or back. Different sites suggest one or the other is correct.

My question therefore is, when an audio driver chooses (or gives the option) to choose side versus back for 5.1 (within 7.1 possible channels) like the asus xonar drivers do, can or does software like mpc-hc read this preference from the OS, ie read what is meant by surround according to the audio driver. What I am trying to say is, can mpc-hc correctly send surround data to side versus back based on drivers definition of surround.

If this can't be done automatically, then an option should be given in the application (like in Grand Theft Auto) so that the user can manually match what is output by the application, to whatever is chosen in the drivers config / or assumed by the audio driver.

If this can be done automatically, and there are problems / bugs with this automated reading of the preference, these bugs should be reported to driver manufacturers, or whatever is at fault etc.

The current state of this to me isn't satisfactory, as my xonar clearly by default (as I personally have physically setup and prefer), selects sides to be used for "surround" in 5.1, but it is configurable (with a use back instead of sides option). mpc-hc, no matter what I choose in my audio driver, aswell as ffdshow, seems to output surround to the back with what seems like no automation involved. To me this is a problem.

Last edited by mark0077; 15th October 2009 at 12:39.