View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2019, 05:03   #3445  |  Link
HelmedHorror

EDIT: Running Altdrag and my Autohotkey script as administrator fixed these problems. I'm not sure why it fixed anything, seeing as how my UAC settings are set to the lowest option on the slider. Furthermore, I'm still unclear why my problems related to administrator privileges. Most importantly, I'm not sure why this would only be a problem with MPC-HC and no other program. I'd be curious to know why, if anyone happens to know.

I'm having a problem with MPC-HC's interaction with AutoHotkey as well as AltDrag. I believe this only started when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I have an AutoHotkey script that has rebound my Capslock key to increase my system's volume by 10%, as well as a script to change my Insert key to Windows' calculator. Neither of those work when MPC-HC is selected. Instead, what happens is that capslock becomes enabled as if the AHK script did not exist. While I don't use my calculator much when watching videos, you can imagine why I'd like to be able to change the system volume.

AltDrag, as well, does not work properly with my MPC-HC. A quick primer on what AltDrag is: AltDrag allows the user to press-and-hold a modifier button (in my case, the Win key) while clicking-and-dragging or rightclicking-and-dragging on a window, and doing so moves or resizes the window. This is a very efficient way of moving or resizing windows, as compared to finicky corner dragging or titlebar dragging.

Normally with AltDrag, performing the following sequence - 1) holding the Win key -> 2) clicking-and-dragging a window -> 3) releasing the mouse button -> 4) releasing the Win key - results in a window being moved without the start menu ever popping up. When performed on MPC-HC, however, not only do those same actions not result in the expected behavior of the window being moved, but the start menu also pops up. This seems to indicate that MPC-HC is not merely ignoring AltDrag, but is somehow killing AltDrag's functionality (one could imagine a world where MPC-HC would remain unmoved by AltDrag but without causing the start menu to pop up. This is not the case.)

I have been using this same Autohotkey script, this same version of AltDrag, and this same version of MPC-HC for literally years, and I have never encountered these problems before. Furthermore, no other program on my computer causes this problematic behavior with AHK and AltDrag, which is why my assumption is that it is a problem specific to MPC-HC. That's why I'm here rather than on the other programs' support sites.

There are a couple things worth mentioning for troubleshooting purposes: first, this problem only exists when MPC-HC is run with elevated administrator privileges. Second, this problem persists even when I do a fresh install of MPC-HC on a different computer. The problem also exists for MPC-HC 1.8.7.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm happy to offer any additional information as well attempt any troubleshooting that might help.

Thanks!

Last edited by HelmedHorror; 22nd September 2019 at 06:17.
HelmedHorror is offline   Reply With Quote