View Single Post
Old 25th October 2015, 05:09   #2  |  Link
Asmodian

Do not target a brightness with the calibration at all, do you have it at ~450cd/m^2 native but are targeting 120 cd/m^2 with the calibration? That would be very bad.

I agree the i1Profiler isn't that great. It is quite important to set the right settings or a calibration can be a lot worse than nothing. I suggest using i1Profiler or dispcal to set your brightness and RGB sliders before calibration using only your monitor's controls.

I use this, it targets the native white point and brightness. Native is optimal for anything but professional color work as long as they are already close to correct.
Code:
"C:\Argyllx64\bin\dispcal" -v -dmadvr -qh -ye -G2.4 -f0 -k0 -O "[NAME] matrix" -o "[NAME]_1.icm" "[NAME]"
"C:\Argyllx64\bin\targen" -v -d3 -G -e8 -B8 -s40 -g128 -f1800 -c "[NAME]_1.icm" "[NAME]"
"C:\Argyllx64\bin\dispread" -v -dmadvr -ye -K "[NAME].cal" "[NAME]"
"C:\Argyllx64\bin\colprof" -v -M "[NAME]" -D "[NAME] BT.1886" -qh -aX "[NAME]"
"C:\Argyllx64\bin\collink" -v -M "[NAME]" -D "[NAME] BT.709" -3m -qh -et -Et -IB -G -ims -a "[NAME].cal" Rec709.icm "[NAME].icm" "[NAME] BT.709.icm"
Replace [NAME] with whatever you want but all the [NAME] values should be the same name. It would even work as is but your profiles would have odd names and descriptions.

The Argyll documentation tells you what everything means but please ask if you want to know why I picked any particular setting.

You need to set "-ye" in both the dispcal and the dispread line to your display's backlight type. "e" is white LED on my system.
edit: run "dispcal" without any options to get the list of letters for the backlight types on your system, this is selecting the spectral correction file for your display type.

Also make sure to enlarge the test pattern in the madVR TPG window, it starts very small, both for the dispcal and dispread steps.

The file "Rec709.icm" also needs to be copied into the same directory where you are running these, it is in Argyll's "ref" folder. In the last line, collink, you can use other reference files like "EBU2312_PAL.icm" for EBU/PAL or "SMPTE_RP145_NTSC.icm" for SMPTE C to generate a 3DLUT for other gamuts. I would also change the BT.709 in "[NAME] BT.709.icm" to match. BT.2020 and P3 do not work very well on a nominally sRGB display so I don't think those are useful in your case.

This generates several argyllcms files as well as:

"[NAME]_1.icm", a fast matrix profile - simple windows calibration only.
"[NAME.icm", a profile along with the windows calibration, photoshop and other color managed applications can use this for gamut conversations.
"[NAME] BT.709.icm", a profile that includes the 3DLUT to convert from BT.709 to the monitor. Not useful as far as I know.
"[NAME] BT.709.3dlut, the BT.709 3DLUT for madVR.

Last edited by Asmodian; 25th October 2015 at 06:02.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote