View Single Post
Old 10th August 2009, 17:03   #8  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffybob View Post
I first looked at projectX, and found the forum was in German, which I dont speak let alone read, but I will look at the other, links Ive been given, thank you.
translate.google.com works very well, and I know that because I speak 5 languages. It was a big surprise to me.
Quote:
I live in rented flat just outside town center Doncaster, so I cant fit an outside arial, but I do live at the top of a 3 story house, however as I said I have problems with interference, and signal reflections, there is a strip approx 1 meter wide that intersects the room where there are no reflections, but the signals not great, there for this is fed into an arial distribution amplifyer ( 1 input, 7 outputs), but it is a wide band TV/FM amplifyer, so no daisy chaining the signal, all pluged into a mains filter.
That's plain wrong. As I was told by a colleague that works in the field of RF antennas (adaptation, propagation and so on), in an urban zone (many obstacles) it's the reflection that makes the reception possible. The silicon receiver in any DVB-T device can separate the main signal from it's reflections. You can't have ghosting like in the analog era. You may only have pixelation, if there is not enough data to feed the decoder.
Quote:
Also because there are 8 flats in this house, 7 next door, etc, there are a lot of mobile phones, micowaves, and flouresent(?) lights, water heaters, hair dryers etc, besides taxis and emergency services radios
I said you before, these "items" work in different spectral bands - and this is not to let you have a nice clean image on your TV, but to prevent any misfunctions of the police communications equipment due to civil broadcasts.

Mobile phones go 1800, microwaves are 2530 and so on.
Quote:
I am going to fit a better and more appropriate arial, and have had a quick look to see if there any D-TV frequency band-pass filters available. ( money is an issue )
That's the move. I think 50-80€ for a "real" DVBT antenna (with amplifier, like Kathrein) is cheaper than a new PC not to count the time spent and the electricity on the long run.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote