View Single Post
Old 24th July 2005, 17:02   #19  |  Link
mg262
Clouded

Can I add to @communist's answer:

If you're working from VHS, please read the analogue capture guide; it tells you, among other things, that AVISynth is unrelated to any encoder, that capturing in MPEG is (to put it mildly) not the preferred method and, perhaps of more use to you at the moment, exactly how you should preserve the aspect ratio. I believe it also has an introduction to using AVISynth in it.

Out of curiosity, may I ask what you are capturing? (Preservation of old tapes -- mainly children's programmes! -- being my main interest.)

Grrr.. the speech recogniser posted this before I was finished again. I wanted to say one other thing, which is that in a limited medium like this, it can be very hard to read the tone of people's posts. So it is best to try and make sure that there is absolutely no way that your comments can be interpreted as being aggressive, sarcastic or critical unless that is really what you intend (and if that is really what you intend then you would be better off starting flame wars on USENET). Something to bear in mind is that, despite the fact that they have answered these questions literally hundreds of times, @scharfis_brain and @neuron2 still seem to take the time to keep answering them... so it is if nothing else more polite to say 'I'm sorry, I really didn't understand that, could you give me an idea of what terms to search for so I can' rather than that something 'makes no sense to the average person'.