View Single Post
Old 25th October 2016, 07:52   #1093  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by konikpolny View Post
1)
I noticed that BD3D2MK3D adds a yellowish SecondaryColor with values=&H0380F0F0 to the converted 3D-ASS subtitles. However, the SecondaryColor is not available to set in the conversion tool, and although not being used directly it does seem to affect how the subtitles are displayed. I noticed that with the yellowish SecondaryColor the subtitles have a thinner and less contrasting outline, and more jagged inclined lines (as in 'A') or with italics. For my use I make the SecondaryColor to be just black (&H00000000). I think it would be better if BD3D2MK3D made it black by default or it allowed for user to select their own preferred SecondaryColor.
Hum, it's strange. The secondary color should not influence the subtitles.
But I don't remember why I have chosen that color. Probably because I've found it in an example. Anyway, I have changed it to &H00000000.
BTW, the code of the SRT to ASS 3D conversion tool can easily be modified. Just edit the file toolset\SRTtoASS3D.tcl. (You can't change the primary and back colors easily, because they are set with the GUI, but the two other colors can be modified if you wish.)
Quote:
2)
The second thing is merely an observation that the ASS version created with the {\pos(x,y)} option makes most of the subtitles (although not all of them) more sticking out by about 1 or 2 points when compared to the ones created with Margins. This still seems perfectly fine to me. I am inclined to use the Margins version anyway.
I will have a look. AFAIK the position should not be different. Perhaps it's due to the margins you have noticed in point 3.
Quote:
3)
I also noticed that you still have values for margins for individual subtitles even when \pos(x,y) version is created as in example below. Any specific reason for that? Why not have the 0000s?
Well, yes, there is a reason. Suppose that the user selects a big font size in the GUI and that there is a long sentence to display at a very important depth. In that case, it may happen that the subtitle is pushed partially out of the screen by the 3D offset. The margins are useful in that case to avoid to stick the subtitles to the border of the screen, or, in SBS mode, to go beyond the middle of the screen and therefore appear partially on the view for the other eye! IMO, it is very important to keep the margins, but they can probably be slightly reduced. Currently, the formula to compute the margin is:
Code:
set minmargin [expr abs($depth) + $outline + $shadow + 6]
It should be possible to remove the + 6 if you wish, but IMO that should not change the display, except perhaps in extreme cases, as explained above.
Quote:
4)
Lastly my humble suggestion - to call the 'Style' something like "3D" (as in example above) rather than "Default". That would be shorter (as this is repeated for every single sub) and more meaningful
Oh, well, Default is used by all ASS editors, so I kept that convention. I can change it to 3D, but IMO the gain is minimal.
[EDIT] I did it anyway.

Last edited by r0lZ; 25th October 2016 at 07:55.