View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2013, 00:46   #16  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3nry View Post
hey,all the tuning and preset options are explained in handbrake guide.it's not that hard to understand....
Yeah after a bit of a look around I found a link in the guide which gives instructions for adding them to the command line manually. I wonder how many Handbrake users are aware of the ability to add them though.

Quote:
only a couple of options are changed.but you cannot simply select some preset and press the convert button.I need to get max quality and compression,but I cannot simply use the placebo or very slow preset because they use reframes=16,as you yourself said "There's even potential to use settings which will make your encode unplayable using some standalone devices".they are known as levels.I am using xperia u.it only supports till high profile @ level 3.2.that means I cannot use reframes >5 for a 720 video and >13 for a 480p video,and I cannot watch a 1080p video cause its high profile @ level >= 4.0.but neither can I use medium or fast presets,cause my device only has 4gb user accessible memory with no external slot
Well the way I understand it, setting the appropriate profile/level when encoding keeps all that under control. If you set High Profile 3.2, it takes precedence, followed by the speed preset. Any advanced options you might specify manually can over-ride the level specified.
So you can in fact use the placebo speed preset when using High Profile, Level 3.2, and it won't allow the number of reference frames etc to be exceeded by the speed preset chosen.
Of course HandBrake doesn't let you specify a Profile or Level via it's GUI, and there's no mention of it in the guide I saw, although no doubt they'd be specified the same way you'd manually add a speed preset to the command line. VidCoder at least lets you choose the Level to be used when encoding via it's GUI.

Quote:
trellis=2 and subq=11/10 is only used in placebo and veryslow presets,which gives great compression without quality loss!
So there's one reason to use the veryslow or placebo preset. subq=11/10 is probably one of the main reasons they're slow presets.

Quote:
also bframes=16 is used in placebo which greatly helps animes but bframes>5 is a waste of time in real life videos.
The B frame setting is the maximum number of B frames the encoder is allowed to use, not the number it's forced to use. I'd like to know how you've decided bframes>5 is a waste of time in real life videos but great for animes.

Quote:
same is in me range where it's clamped to 24 in placebo and veryslow,where you'll get the benefit of increasing to 32 in high motion hd videos,but a waste of time >16 in sd videos
No, it's not clamped. You're free to over-ride any setting used by a speed preset by specifying the desired value for that setting in the command line manually (or via the GUI if it'll let you). If you think it should be changed according to resolution there's nothing stopping you from doing so.

Quote:
these options given so that it can be changed to meet our needs.instead of not touching them try using it.and I didn't just hover my mouse over them,all options are well explained in mewiki.
By all means do so if you think you really know what you're doing. Otherwise you can expect some unexpected results until you do.

Quote:
of course handbrake is easy to use,but also handbrake have better settings than others.I have also used avidemux,vidcoder,vlc,avs4u...for example in avidemux 'subpixel me and mode decision' (subq) is limited to 9,rd refine in all frames.same's in vlc.but handbrake provides upto 11,no early termination.also there is the command line for setting extra options which's not given.handbrake also comes with high quality filters such as denoise,decomb etc which comes from mplayer.and there is handbrake guide showing how to use each one of them.sometimes I also use vidcoder for large files,cause there is a pause button.
Never used any of those programs myself. Any decent GUI should allow you to change those settings.
HandBrake's high quality de-interlacer uses Yadif according to the guide, as does I imagine almost every other current encoder GUI. I don't know if it's decomb filter does anything special. According to the guide "it combines several techniques gleaned from tritical's decombing filters for AviSynth", and pretty much every AVISynth based encoder GUI makes use of decombing filters.....
Next time I come across one of those "difficult videos" I'll try running it through HandBrake to see how it manages it with the decomb filter set to auto. Maybe it's very clever, I don't know.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote