View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2020, 13:34   #593  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisachan View Post
2 random observations:
1) a while ago, it was asked why muxing via GUI is faster:

This may or may not be related, but it is documented that: “When you add a file to GUI, it runs mkvmerge --identification-format json --identify added-file.ext and parses the output.” So input files are once read already before actual muxing. If, on the other hand, you mux via a command line, it's a cold start. Intuitively this could make differences.
The identification process only reads the first couple of MB of a file (how much depends on its type). This shouldn't make a difference wrt. overall muxing speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisachan View Post
2) Unrelated to 1): I noticed on my Win7 that sometimes a temp file %TEMP%\MKVToolNix-GUI-MuxJob-*.json is not deleted after the job is done. Though I can't reproduce this, I found several such old .json files there. They are not harmless, but I figured I'd report them just in case. Thanks.
It's possible this happens when the GUI crashes — but maybe it's something else. Not sure I care enough to spend time on this as the files are created in %TEMP% on purpose, meaning it's totally fine for the user to delete them whenever they seem fit (e.g. via the drive cleanup feature).

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote