View Single Post
Old 27th January 2018, 01:16   #3  |  Link
mustardman

Hi,

Cheers for the reply. I've heard of blender, but only in relation to creating CGI type clips, not for dealing with 'real world' video. The other one, natron, I've not heard of at all. I've not heard of mocha either - I must be really out of date!

Yes, I agree that doing a stabilise straight-up is not a solution, hence thinking about object tracking first.

I have a very old copy of 'after effects' for premiere v6. I had not considered it for tracking/stabilising.

The clip I have is about 4 to 5 seconds long, and I've snipped what is probably the most indicitative part out of it and attached it rather than uploading to a file hosting site. It is not actually zipped, you just need to take the zip extension off and call it mp4 to play it (although you probably figured that out already). You'll have to pause & step through it as it would be lucky to be a seconds worth. The compression artefacts are not there in the original (DV capture direct from VHS). The video looks OK when played, but a frame grab shows up how bad the noise in the picture really is. It is also really dark and level-adjusting makes the noise stand out even more.

Unfortunately adjusting the levels starts to show the compression introduced in the DV encoding process (an ADVC100 I think). I have the original tape (if it still plays!), but don't know how to brighten (gamma) the image between the VCR and the capture card, hence am doing it after capture.

There is not much rotation admittedly, but there is zoom. My intent is to do the best I can with most of the 4-5 second clip and then pick out 3-5 frames to superresolution.

About the same time I got Premiere, I also got a premiere plug-in called "VideoPics". I did some playing with it yesterday on a different clip, and it is actually remarkably good. It seems to deal quite well with zooming, as well what you'd expect it to do with X/Y movement. It is quite old, but I don't think the maths behind the superresolution technique have changed at all, and I can't for the life of me find any decent superresolution implementations that are readily available (ie: free). I don't expect CSI type results from it either... more looking to reduce stair-stepping and hopefully smooth some of that noise out.

I have not tried 'VideoPics' on the clip in question yet... that's later today (hopefully).

Thanks,
MM.
Attached Files
File Type: zip N2_mp4.zip (292.3 KB, 39 views)
mustardman is offline   Reply With Quote